With only FOUR days until Indie Untangled, which is followed by the fiber festival that I pretty much live for: New York State Sheep and Wool Festival – known to knitters as simply “Rhinebeck” – it’s high time I get my wish list in order so I can go in with a plan! I have a set budget, but it definitely is not enough to cover all of the things on this list. However, I also know that inventories run out and sometimes lines are just too long to tolerate, so I need to have plenty back-up items on my wish list, “just in case.” 🙂
YARN for PROJECTS:
- Fireside Pullover by Jane Richmond – 1127yds Bulky in a medium brown/grey with lots of tweedy nubs (or a handspun marled brown/grey)
- Carbeth Cardigan by Kate Davies – 690yds bulky
- Sode by Hiroko Payne – 2002 yds superwash aran, deep burgundy tonal
- Bedford by Michele Wang – 1325 yds wooly worsted, greenish grey
- Elfriede Shawl by Shannon Cook – 951 yds soft wool in worsted, lavendar grey
- LouLou by Amy Miller – 1480 yds mohair blend (?) in worsted, rose gold color
- Tied Knots Hat by Justina Lorkowska– 220 yds high twist DK in medium grey
- Eri by Isabell Kraemer – 1203yds sport in a deep teal (like version in Laine)
- Afterglow Shawl by Susanne Sommer – fun speckles in 3 contrasting, but complementary colors of fingering: 657yds of EACH colors a&b and 219yds of C
Colorwork Yolk Sweater Quantities by Weight:
- 1,600yds MC
- 300yds CC1
- 300yds CC2
- 1,400yds MC
- 270yds CC1
- 270yds CC2
- 1,200yds MC
- 250yds CC1
- 250yds CC2
- Strange Brew by Tin Can Knits – a guide to the famous Strange Brew self-designing colorwork yolk, also includes some pre-designed patterns!
- Winter Issue of Pom Pom Magazine – as a subscriber, I get to pick this up for free from the Pom Pom booth!
- Rigid Heddle Loom – probably won’t actually purchase this, but I’d love to see what’s out there and maybe select one to save up for
- Erlbacher Gearheart Speedster Sock Machine – definitely will not be purchasing (these are about $1,500-3,000!) but I’d love to see one and dream
- A project bag maybe…?
Vendors I don’t Want to Miss (window shopping can’t hurt!):
- Green Mountain Spinnery (Building 22D, booth 22)
- MoreHouse Farms (Building 22D, booth 14)
- White Birch Fiber Arts (Buildding 22D, booth 17) – amazing self-striping yarn!!
- The Buffalo Wool Co (Building 22D, OD22-01) – buffalo blend DK! (possibly for the tied knot hat??)
- Springtide Farm (Buildding 22U, booth 5&6) – just to squish all the cashmere!
- Cottage on the Hudson (Building 22U, booth 12) – a fellow Saugertiesian!!!
- Bare Naked Wool by KnitSpot (Building 26, booth 6)
- Feederbrook (Building 26, Booth 20) – may have a good handspun for fireside?
- Briar Rose Fibers (Building 27A, Booth 8)
- Tika at Sweet Fleece Farm (Building 27A, Booth 12) – Carbeth?
- Berry Meadow (Building 29, Booth 19)
- Black Wolf Fiber (Building 30, Booths 18&19) – LUXURY SPLURGE!?
- Madder Root (Building 31, Booth 3) – PROJECT BAGS!
- Avalon Springs Farm (Building 31, Booth 4&5)
- more will be added as I continue to comb through the vendor list!
In all reality I can probably afford to get 2 sweater quantities worth of yarn, the Strange Brew book (if it’s even there) and maybe one other surprise that I discover along the way. I need to show some restraint, since money is a little tight right now (saving for a trip to Paris next summer!) but… NY Sheep & Wool comes but once a year! I want to remember to only buy from vendors I wouldn’t be able to purchase from normally (i.e. they don’t have an online shop), and I need to keep in mind how much I LOVE to support my LYS, Perfect Blend Yarn & Tea. It actually makes me sad when I have projects on my needles that I can’t knit there. I think if I keep those two things in mind, I will be able to show some restraint.
Although…. I have nothing to protect me against the apple cider donuts!
Will you be there? Check out all the fun things happening in Saugerties Friday, Oct 19! Learn more here! see you at the Indie Untangled Afterparty and Dutch Ale House on Main Street in Saugerties!